Newly launched UpSide Dance Company will offer free yoga and dance classes on New Year's Day to introduce itself to the Healdsburg community.
UpSide co-founders Kate Ahumada and Tanya Tolmasoff, both Sonoma County natives, will offer the classes at Yoga on Center in Healdsburg (see schedule below).
Both have danced internationally in professional performance groups throughout California, Colorado, New York City, London and St. Petersburg, Russia. They said they are excited to return home now and assist in the growing interest in dance in Wine Country.
"We want to introduce dance to those who are curious in a supportive and adventurous environment, create more performance opportunities for the developing dancer, and to collaborate with local designers, artists, musicians and the other dance communities of Northern California and the Bay Area," said Ahumada.
"We invite you to join us in the joy, social-physical health and creative artistry of dance," Tolmasoff said. "Whether you have never before danced, are returning to dance, or hoping to improve your dance level, 2013 is the time to get inspired and move your body with UpSide Dance Company."
After New Year's, Ahumada and Tolmasoff will be teaching new and regular creative movement and contemporary modern dance on Sundays and Wednesdays (see schedule below). They said their focus is on making dance accessible to everyone and in avoiding jargon and intimidating approaches.
"Never has movement and physical activity been so important to our digitally-ruled and sometimes stagnant lives," Ahumada said. "Dance is being reinvigorated and re-balanced in Sonoma County, but in a way that it’s never been done before!"
“If you can walk, you can dance.” Tolmasoff added.
Class Info (Starting Jan. 1):
Jan. 1- FREE Class- Creative Movement at 2:30-4pm at Yoga On Center! Also, FREE yoga classes all day, starting 9 a.m., from staff teachers at Yoga on Center. Call 707-433-6500 for more information.
Creative Movement (Open to all levels and abilities). Every Sunday 4-5:30 p.m., Yoga on Center, Healdsburg
Intermediate Modern Dance (Previous movement experience suggested). Every Wednesday, 7:15-8:30 p.m., Yoga On Center, Healdsburg
Price for Regular Classes: $10-15 (Student price available. Drop-in or Class Card. No registration fee)
Location: Yoga On Center, 401 Center St., Healdsburg (1 block north of Plaza) 707-433-6500 or visit www.yogaoncenter.com
UPside Dance Company Contact Info:
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/UpSideDance (Performance and rehearsals)
Tanya Tolmasoff- Co-director
Kate Ahumada- Co-director
UPSide Dance Company Frequently Asked Questions
What is Your Mission?
“To Move. To Create. To Collaborate.
”To Move"- Introduce more dance and creative movement to Sonoma County
"To Create"- Develop creative projects, new choreographic work inspired by the people of Sonoma County, and create performance opportunities for our dancers and local artists
"To Collaborate"- Encourage communication and creative projects between art community of Northern California and the Bay Area. Kate and Tanya intend to collaborate and communicate between the local dance hubs to support the dance community, enhance the artistic talent seen in local theaters, share new ideas, connections, and masterclass opportunities. By supporting and strengthening the dance network in Northern California, Sonoma County has the potential of becoming not just a ‘Wine Country,’ but a Wine, Dine and Dance Country.
Why is it Called UPside Dance?
1. The UpSide of Life.
2. Looking at things UpSide Down.
3. Embracing a new and fresh perspective.
4. Sonoma County is Up and to the Side of California.
Catch Phrases (just for fun!)?:
“Sunny Side UP with UPside” (Our optimism)
“You’ve been Upsided” (like you’ve been blindsided)so many more... if you have any suggestions!
Ways to get involved or Help?:
1. Most important is to Get moving and Get dancing!
2. Spreading the word about UpSide and communicate with us!
3. Consultation and Help: Kate and Tanya are not tech-savvy and are in need of assistance or consultation with marketing, graphic design, website design, Logo Design, Business Cards, marketing promotion support, basic program design and printing
4. Collaborative opportunities: UPside is interested in creating new friendships and art partnerships. This may be in any form: a music composition that we could create choreography, venues to perform, people and art to inspire new work, poetry, musicians, photographers, costume designers, makeup artists, gallery openings, and dance friends across Sonoma County
5. Donation: Always thankful for cash donation for rehearsal space, musician and photographer contributions, and future performances. Also thankful for bartering for expertise and other types of non-cash support (see above).